Monday, December 10, 2007

Jazz in the Living Room

Tyler and Sean
You can see my feet and my music, behind Tyler. I'm playing alto, reading the chart for Cherokee. Pavel took the first chorus and played the line from C- Jam blues over the changes. Then the three of us came in on the head. It sounded great.

Wells
He held the bottom down all evening, keeping the rhythm. Who needs a drummer? Wells is an old-school bass player. He called "I let a song out of my heart." It turned out well.

Pavel
Sometimes his hands move so fast over the keyboard that it's just a blur. A modernist, but he knows the old-school stuff too.

Tyler's hands
After Wells and Pavel left, we played a few more tunes. "In a Sentimental mood" as a trio, alto sax, tenor sax, and trumpet. Then Sean and Tyler dueted on Mingus's "A self-portrait in three colors," and then I comped chords on the piano to "Do nothing till you hear from me" while Tyler blew. A good night of jazz.

Happy Birthday, Lauren.

1 comment:

jim dandy said...

Cool Daddio, Your livin large!
Good times.