Friday, July 10, 2009

Green Buddha

That day we left Tokushima City in a surge of media attention. The TV crew was there to film us as we packed our bikes and rode off. But in the afternoon some hard rains started washing over Shikoku. We found ourselves pushing our bikes up a mountain. When we got to the temple at the top, a cold wind was blowing. We took refuge from the cold, the wind and the rain in the bathroom, of all places. But when we finally gathered ourselves and entered the temple, the rain conveniently ceased its falling and we were sheltered from the wind. I took this photo through the mist. I danced a jig. We rode down the mountain and checked into an inn. I missed the report on TV, because I was out riding my bike around town, looking for food, beer, and a new raincoat (I found all three). The next morning the sun was shining. We took a cable car up to the next temple, full of optimism and happy thoughts.

3 comments:

jim dandy said...

Hey Marco.
Thanks for the groovie Ernest Tubb postcard birthday greeting and the mysterious Japanese banner that resembles an Ozzy Osbourne tattoo!
I will get the banner translated by one of my Japanese speaking customers and find out if it's a blessing or a curse. haha
Thanks man, You Rock!!!
(speaking of Japanese, did you know that my Google I.D. is ichiboy? haha)
Domo & Konichiwa!

Mark said...

You're welcome, Jim.

It's a sort of Japanese minotaur, from the island of Shikoku. For some reason, when I saw it I thought of you. I hope it's not a curse. Hey, I bought it at a temple; it couldn't be a curse.

jim dandy said...

Well, I have had my monster banner loosely translated and I know that it came from temple #80 in Kokubunji, and it is to ward off evil when hung in ones house. I have done so and am now safe.
I wonder...What if I sew it onto a shirt? Will I be able to take my protection on the road?
Thanks again! Ichiboy