Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Iraxti et moi (17 July, 2004)



Gaillac, France. Iraxti was a Basque from Spain, and it was the end of our week-long French immersion program. I'm preparing to set off on a six-day bike ride. Maybe that explains the look on my face. It was the day I learned of the remarkable power of chocolate, and coincidentally, Jim Dandy's birthday. It was hot and sunny. After my goodbyes, I passed through Castelnau Montmirail, a beautiful place, but strangely empty. I thought I would sleep in a town called Caussade, but there were no rooms available when I arrived. It was the FĂȘte du Chapeau! The Hat Festival (tres French). So I pushed on to Montpezat de Quercy ... But there were no rooms to be had there either. A lady who ran a bar called the one rooming house in town, but nothing. Onward I rode ... Sort of bummed and thinking about putting on a few extra tee-shirts and crawling up under a tree, in the woods, just out of sight of the road. I ate some fine dark chocolates that my teacher, Michelle, had given me. Suddenly, my outlook on life changed. I didn't care if I found a room or not, the woods would be fine this time of year. Eventually, as dusk was falling, I made it to a town called Montcuq, where I found a room. I took a bath and had some wine. I had ridden about 94 kilometers and had drunk four and a half liters of water. If I hadn't eaten that chocolate, I would have never found a room.

3 comments:

jim dandy said...

wow, a lot of fancy words in here. pretty classy. I need to get a metric converter to get the full impact of this one.

Mark said...

Hey Jim, this is the first photo I've tinkered with. I cropped it, increased the sharpness and exposure. iphoto is pretty cool! Next up, learn to use the scanner.

jim dandy said...

I thought you looked a little tweaked. haha