Sunday, September 4, 2011

Carolina Paella, step-by-step

Paella, let's see how we get here.

Let's get started.

On the left, the chicken for the stock. On the right, the pieces that will be in the dish.

I'll add this to the stock.


My stock is going!





I like to use a mixture of extra virgin olive oil (for the taste) and peanut oil (to raise the smoke point)





This chicken is done on the outside. It will finish cooking in the rice later.

Adding a little white wine to the stock

I put the shrimp in for just a few seconds, to absorb flavor, not so much to cook. I'll now let it marinade in white wine.

Onions and garlic. Basic to any good cooking.

The chicken left over from making stock. I can make enchiladas with this, or chicken salad.

Some red and green pepper, some onion, some garlic, some chickenparts ... what?

I rinsed the rice, a little more than two cups, probably (I didn't measure!)



Okra, would not be an ingredient in Valencia ... but we're in Carolina, son!



Azafrán, Saffron, gives paella its yellow color, and a certain flavor.





Paella, on the stove


3 comments:

jim dandy said...

AWESOME!!!
Pictures ARE worth more than words.
The proof is in the...Paella!
Thanks for taking the time to take the pics.

Mark said...

Thanks, Jim Dandy!

profilelockermama said...

yum. I'm going to try this. Sometime when I have a lot of people to help me eat it!