Sunday, August 14, 2011

Wetzel Lake Clay Trail

On my wordy-word site a short time back, I reminisced about the clay trail out at Wetzel Lake. I wondered if kids still walked it today, 35 years after I used to do it. I remember once or twice even fishing there with my dad in his little row boat during his retirement. That would have been the early 90s. The lake level was still high at that time. Well, on my recent trip to Mancelona, along with my sister, I went to investigate the state of the clay trail. It turns out that the lake levels are so low these days that it is well above the lake level.

My sister on my late dad's clumsy cruiser. Bless her heart for riding it all the way out to Wetzel and back.

This is the clay trail that we used to walk in water up to our titties.



End of the trail. Kind of cool. I don't know if the ruts are new, due to water run off. My vague recollection is that around this part the ruts were there, albeit in waist-deep water.

No comments: